Skip to main content
University of Wollongong Australia

Copyright: For staff & teachers

Legal information and requirements for copyright regarding academic research for staff and students.

Copyright for staff & teachers

The University pays an annual licence fee to the Copyright Agency (CA), which allows staff to make certain copies without seeking permission.

The licence is statutory and legislated under Part IVA Division 4 of the Copyright Act and applies to copying material from both print and electronic sources.

What you can copy

  • 10% of a book, or one chapter (whichever is greater)
  • one article per issue of a journal (or other periodical), or more if they're closely related in a topic area
  • images, within limitations

Text includes literary and dramatic works as well as musical notations.

Images include pictures, photographs, drawings, graphs, diagrams and plans.

How to distribute copies

Copies can be delivered to students in print or electronic formats (including disc, web and email) for educational purposes.

Educational purposes include any ordinary business of the University, such as teaching and administration that supports educational activities.

Digital copies must include the appropriate copyright warning notice and all copies used in Subject Readings or Moodle must be submitted to the Subject Readings team.

The Library provides access to a large number of journals and e-books through licence agreements with online publishers.

The content of the licences varies, but generally they don’t allow for multiple copies to be made. In this instance, you should provide your students with a link to the resource so they can access it directly.

What you can access

Under our licence agreements, access to electronic resources such as databases, electronic journals and electronic books subscribed to by the University of Wollongong is restricted to use by UOW students and staff.

Remote user access

The Library uses EZproxy to authorise remote users. It serves as an on-campus intermediary so the electronic resource host always sees that the traffic comes from an authorised IP.

Students can use their SOLS username and password to access online journals, whether they’re on or off campus.

Traffic going through EZproxy is excluded from the quota. This is the main reason for linking all users through EZproxy rather than just those who are off campus.

Unless an author explicitly states otherwise, all text, images, videos, code, and other material is protected by copyright.

However, you can still copy text and images from the internet (even if a webpage includes a © symbol and an ‘All Rights Reserved’ statement) because it’s licensed as long as the copying is for educational purposes.

What you can copy

  • links to web pages or resources made public with the consent of the copyright owner
  • images where sources are clearly attributed

Links to web pages that have not been made available with the copyright owner's consent may give rise to liability because it could be seen as inviting students to download infringing material.

How to distribute copies

It’s preferable to provide your students with the URL to web-based material rather than copying it for them. If you have concerns about your students' data quota you can contact IMTS to discuss an extension.

Any electronic material must include the appropriate notice on the first page.

You can receive television and radio broadcasts in class without seeking permission. Additionally, the University pays an annual licence fee to Screenrights, which allows staff to make copies without seeking permission.

Screenrights allows you to:

  • record television and radio broadcasts for educational purposes
  • edit, make compilations and make further copies of recorded broadcasts
  • play audio-visual material to a remote site through video conferencing (as long as the material is for educationalpurposes and the audience is limited to students)

What you can show/copy

You can show bought or rented videos (e.g. DVDs) in class for educational purposes without seeking permission. You can also copy a video that was recorded from a broadcast (see TV & Radio tab).

Educational purposes means the viewing must be integral to your lecture or tutorial and you can only show it to your students (no friends, parents, partners, etc.).

What you cannot show/copy

You cannot copy bought or rented videos (DVDs). Part IVA Division 4 of the Copyright Act only applies to the audio-visual recordings from broadcast programs, not commercial or hired video content.

What you can play

  • music and other recordings
  • music recordings from the four major Australian musical collecting societies (APRA, AMCOS, PPCA, and ARIA)

These may be played in class for educational purposes without seeking permission.

What you can copy

The University pays an annual licence fee to Screenrights, which allows staff to make copies without seeking permission.

You can copy:

  • music contained in any radio and TV broadcast for teaching purposes (as long as you attach the relevant notice)
  • podcasts of broadcasts

If the sound recording is being made available using UOW's music licence, you must attach a notice to the recording and include:

  • the title of each musical work
  • the name of each composer, lyricist and arranger of the musical work
  • whether the recording contains an ARIA Sound Recording, the artist/group and the record company label
Loading ...

Additional resources

A-Z databases |  A-Z journals |  Catalogue |  Learning Co-Op

Opening hours |  Printing, copying & scanning |  Services for students |  Subject readings

Borrowing information |  Borrowing from other libraries |  Frequently Asked Questions |  Give feedback